Thursday, October 17, 2013

That Old Chestnut

It's funny how sometimes things just seem to line up and fall into place. This week's serendipity happens to be chestnuts. I was flipping through a magazine earlier this week and came across some yummy looking recipes for a chestnut butternut squash and leek pasty. I have yet to try a pasty of any kind and I am sorely tempted to make these my first taste. Autumn is my favourite time of year and there is something delightfully autumnal about chestnuts and butternut squash. It brings to mind all of fall's most tantalising and wonderful gifts: crisp, misty mornings, sparkling gold and flame coloured leaves, woolen jumpers and cups of hot, spiced tea.

No sooner had I put away the magazine, with tantalising pictures of chestnut recipes dancing in my head, then I get a message about a job opportunity to design a logo using...guess what? A chestnut of course! Naturally I took the job. I can take a hint from the fates of autumn. I spent a bit of time scanning the usual online haunts for images of chestnuts to use as inspiration and reference, but what I really wanted was a tangible object that I could set in front of me to sketch and paint.

One day later I was walking into town and sure enough, right across my path, littering the ground all around me were piles of chestnuts! Granted, they were horse chestnuts, but beggars can't be choosers. With a quick thanks to those fates I scooped up a handful, filled my pockets and went on my merry way. I spent the rest of my day happily painting chestnuts to my heart's content.










And some extra chestnuts for you as well!
Check out this recipe for matcha chestnut macarons.
This one for pumpkin chestnut soup.

1 comment:

  1. I love this (and all your posts!). The only experience I have had with chestnuts is having them explode in my oven and once I took them out of the oven, they continued exploding..sticking to the ceiling!! haha

    ReplyDelete