Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Sparks and Notions

It can happen at any time of the day or night. There you are, minding your own business, when suddenly it hits you! Inspiration strikes and your mind is flooded with images and ideas and without thinking you grab your sketchbook and your hand tries desperately to keep pace with your mind. This is how it often works for me. I always make sure to have sketchbooks and little notebooks with me no matter where I go, because those little lightning bugs of inspiration can zap without warning at any moment.

I love every stage of the illustration process, but I especially love the research and concept sketch stage. It can often be a wonderful excuse to learn about a new subject. I can spend hours pouring through books and exploring new websites while developing an idea. Folklore, history, biology, fairy tales and even google images and Pinterest are all valuable research tools for me.

Here are a few peeks at some rough scratchings and scribbles I've been working on for a new piece.

















No comments:

Post a Comment